Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tues 13 Dec

A big day with lots going on so let's get right to it:

Weight 4 lb. 13.6 oz. - closing in on 5 pounds, and if I keep eating so well I might catch up with Ben soon (he's at about five and a half pounds right now, which means I've gained a couple ounces on him!).  I'm definitely doing well with my feedings - in fact, took three full bottles in a row last night!

Had my first shots today.  As you'd expect, I handled it like a pro but all the same it was NO fun.  I did cry briefly (cut me some slack, I'm a baby, tough guys!) but Dad held my paci in my mouth (and the nurse had given me a little sugar water - woo hoo, candy!) so I settled back down quickly.  OT Gail and Dad tried feeding me but I was exhausted from the shot (wouldn't even smack my lips when they put milk on them) so ended up doing a  wrapped me back up and let me gavage feed with my paci still in to keep me calm.


Of course, if it's not one thing it's another, so shortly after I got my shot the Dr. King came to do my check-up; she said I'm doing well and making good progess - and unlike my brother I don't have a hernia (okay, that may have something to do with the fact that I'm a girl, but I think it's also that I figured out how to push my poops out without straining so hard, unlike some siblings of mine I could mention...)

Then no sooner was she finished examining me than the audiologist showed up for my hearing test! (really, how am I supposed to grow and develop when they won't leave me alone for five seconds!)  Thankfully, it turns out that I can sleep through this since they measure brain activity rather than me needing to respond to anything.  Check out the setup, it's pretty intense:







So that took about ten minutes.  I passed with flying colors (no surprise there, of course) and they even gave me a diploma!

Mom came by about 2.  She was dressed to the nines so I showed her my new outfit to show that I can dress just as well - it's got turtles and leaves!



Since I was a little more recuperated from my shot earlier, she tried me breastfeeding again.  I did a great job - took about 30 ml!

In fact, I was so eager to eat that I made Mom and Dad laugh by opening my mouth big and trying to latch on before Mom even had me in position!

After eating, which is always work, I was ready for some more rest, and stil wanted my paci to keep me calm.

Mom was still around for the 5 o'clock feeding, and though I wasn't up for eating on my own again, I did open my eyes so we could at least visit a bit while I was getting gavaged.


That's it for today.  Hopefully no more shots or exams tomorrow - I've got enough on my plate without extra stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment