Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wednesday 23 Nov

Well, I'm not sure what to do.  I've been handling my feedings great lately, with little or no residuals, I'm getting the fortified 26 cal/oz milk, and they've upped my feedings another two ml to 32 ml per feeding.  Yet for all that I'm not gaining weight, and actually lost an ounce!
I don't know anything different to do about that so I'll just stick with it and hope I do start putting on some weight again.  The nurses said that as I'm trying new things (like the bottle practice yesterday, less heat in the incubator so I have to regulate my own temperature more, etc.) that can wear me out and burn a lot of calories but as I get used to those things and they get easier I'll start putting on weight again.  Hopefully they're right.  I'm trying to sleep as much as I can and conserve energy, not sure what else I can do....


Mom and Dad came to visit this morning; I woke up as soon as I heard their voices and turned on the charm with a mischievous grin to show them I was happy to see them:




A lactation consultant met up with Mom and Dad to help me try breastfeeding.  She put me in Mom's arms and they gave me a little milk, and after some confusion at the start (I know, I know, this is supposed to be a natural thing, but I'm still little and need to learn some of these things!) I latched on and did a really good job feeding - it was nice to actually get to taste my food for once after having it just piped straight into my stomach all this time!

They're not sure exactly how much I ate, but Mom says that judging from how much she pumped compared to usual, I probably ate 10-20 ml which the nurses said is really good for a first time!  So yes, I'm pretty awesome!

After that Mom burped me and held me for awhile.
I got nice and comfy and we had a good visit - I was even awake for part of it!


I think Mom enjoyed it too!
I was pretty pooped from trying the breastfeeding so passed out pretty quickly.
I had a minor brady/desat episode afterward but I recovered quickly on my own and the nurses said it was probably just because I was tired from trying the breastfeeding so they weren't overly worried.

A busy day but an enjoyable one!  Now I need to rest up for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow so back to bed for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment